What are the things in your life that constantly cause you relationship problems? Anger about your circumstances? Fear of trying something new to overcome a life challenge? Bitterness that a nagging problem never seems to get resolved? Jealousy and lust that others appear to have more than we do?
These feelings are common to the human experience. You are not alone. Many self-help groups use the 12 Step process for recovery from addictive, compulsive or other behavioral issues. The proven process is not only useful in overcoming major addictions, but also for working through less obvious life problems.
The twelfth step talks about using the principles learned in steps one through eleven in all of life’s circumstances to resolve problems in our hearts and bring us peace. Take some time to reflect on an issue that you struggle with and make these 12 steps a daily habit.
Steps 1-3 get me into a personal, caring relationship with a higher power.
1. I admitted I was powerless over my problems-that my life had become unmanageable.
2. I came to believe that a Power greater than myself could restore me to sanity.
3. I made a decision to turn my life over to the care of God.
Steps 4-6 get me cleaned up morally and spiritually.
4. I made a searching and fearless moral inventory
5. I admitted to God, to myself and to another person the exact nature of my wrongs.
6. Was entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
Steps 7-9 help me change and get relational health – healed in all my relationships.
7. I humbly asked my higher Power to remove my shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons I had harmed; and became willing to make amends to them.
9. Made direct amends to such persons whenever possible except when to do so would injure them or others.
Steps 10-12 get me on a continual process of relational healing, peace and growth.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and promptly admitted when I was wrong.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve my conscious contact with my higher Power.
12. Having had a relational awakening as a result of these steps, I tried to carry this message to others and practice these principles in all my affairs.